Monday, February 3, 2014

Fam-OLY, FAN-ily, Family

I started as a FAN of local hip hop over two years ago.  I went to shows at Club MIDAS (Chehalis, WA) and Sucka Free Sundays at the Play Pen/Beau Legs Lounge (Olympia, WA). I did not stray from those two venues; they were comfortable and friendly.  I knew what to expect and I felt secure attending the events solo.  Although, awkward at first, I managed to be a fan 1000%. From promoting events to photographing them, I defined myself as a true fan.

In no time at all I made connections.  Artists were friendly and welcomed me into their world.  I started as a fan and now I have a family. I couldn't be more blessed. I've found myself exploring venues such as Le Voyeur,  The Northern, The Royal (Olympia, WA) and El Potrero (Tacoma, WA). I would travel anywhere to watch a great hip hop show.

This week I found myself back in the middle of Olympia Hip Hop. Wednesday night at the Northern kicked things off.  This venue I can only describe as a large garage type building. It has a concrete floor and walls but it brings back a feeling of when hip hop was on the streets. Though there is a sound system, there's nothing fancy or flashy.  I can't help but imagine Common or Mos Def rocking the same idea back in their day.

Upon my arrival, there are artists free styling some pretty hot bars outside. Though the weather is cold, the lyrics are fire.  The energy feels great, even between Big Pork and Script. Though these two are about to go head to head in a pre written battle,  they shake hands and wish each other luck. 

With DJ Pasquan on the 1s and 2s, I know it's bound to be an epic show. Acts such as Cauze N Efekt, Double B, Cyrus, J Sav and Forsaken Takeover kept the place rockin. I had the pleasure of watching Smoke preform; something I hope to see again soon. I had only heard of him as a producer until now, but I had a goofy smile on my face as I heard his voice echo throughout the place.

Headlining the show was Mostafa, C Legz, Tim Hoke and Landon Wordswell.  I had the honor of meeting all four gentleman before they hit the stage.  They were more than willing to converse with me and I tell you, I can not wait to see them again.  Their chemistry, even preforming,  is a force to be reckoned with. 

I was smart (or maybe not so) and stood front and center so I could fully experience their set. Rather than standing still to deliver his music, Landon Wordswell got into the crowd.  He commanded everyone's attention in the room.  His bass guitar player, Tim Hoke has to be mentioned again, because I have never in my life seen someone play the way he does: breathtakingly. These men made a fan out of me for life.  I encourage you to take advantage of the next time they are in town, a must experience for a true hip hop lover.

The final event was the battle between King HushHush and Patron. Now, I've seen Patron battle and he always delivers.  I had no idea what to expect from HushHush, who upon a coin flip, went first. He came in hard and left it all on that stage. However, Patron came a bit harder. In return HushHush delivered again! The battle stayed close, bar for bar until the very end, in which Patron took it home and won. I stuck around after the show, waiting in the cold outside. The boys were not done, they continued to freestyle outside for quite sometime. True Hip Hop style.

As friday rolled around, I found myself at Le Voyeur.  An event titled "Fam-OLY", hosted by Ang P who headlined with Miz representing Real Lyfe Click, which celebrated Olympia as a family.  Again with DJ Pasquan I had to be excited.  He never disappoints and keeps the crowd feeling great.  The lineup of this even included; MC Swamptiger, The Truth, QP, Cauze N Efekt,  Double B and DL Murray.

With QP on stage, I drained 50% of my phone battery while taking pictures and videos.  I was so hyped I just keep clicking away.  His demeanor on stage is not to be messed with and when he decided to spit a song a capella, he had everyone's fun attention.

I can't help but lay in wait for Cauze N Efekt to hit the stage.  Drumatic has a sound unlike any other.  It is a more mellow type of music that once again brings me back to what I really know about hip hop from the days of Musiq Soulchild and similar artists. I've listened to enough music from Drumatic, that not one ong goes by that I don't know and thoroughly enjoy. 

Thankfully Ang P introduced himself to me before the show, so I was able to put the face and voice to the Facebook picture.  I must admit I had only heard (and seen) his song/video "Chronic and Patron", so I didn't know what to expect. I was extremely taken with his presence on stage.  The set consisted of him and Miz doing songs alone and together, neither of which trumped the other.  I had to wave off my feeling of disappointment when they were done, I had not had enough of either. Both men are incredible lyricists and I enjoyed the stories they had to tell.

I am thankful for a great week of hip hop. Although enduring the cold and standing for long hours, I can say I am still a fan of those I met two years ago and a new fan of those I met last week. 

I started as a fan and now I have a family.

Much love and respect to all involved.

3 comments:

  1. This is an awesome piece! Thanks for the mention -QP

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you and it was my pleasure. Looking forward to the interview.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Salute and thank you! Need more of this

    ReplyDelete