Friday, February 14, 2014

Divine Mental Thought

It's Thursday night and I find myself enjoying the cool breeze and Seattle air on my face as I sit upon the rooftop of a gorgeous hotel overlooking the waterfront.  The Seattle ferris wheel lit with blue and green lights, the bustling pike place market and the busy streets below me. The beauty of it is not lost upon me as I listen to the man in front of me talk on about hip hop.

DMT turned just 22 years old the day before and in celebration I found myself at Le Voyeur in Olympia, WA.  I'd been looking over the flyer for a couple of weeks, unable to contain my excitement.  It contained a few points of information that made me believe it would blow my mind.  First and most importantly, there are only 4 acts that night.  Meaning, I could truly focus on the few that were about to take stage. Second, the Dj. Dj Justincase never disappoints when he spins. Unlike any other Dj I've met, Justincase spins a mix of local music. I heard Akeem's voice through the speakers of the venue and couldn't help but feel relief and excitement. A Dj that knows he has the power to make a difference: brilliant.  And finally, Cauze N Efekt were on this bill.

Just over a year ago, I heard a song that resonated so deep within me that I now listen to it every day.  "Hermit" came from Cauze N Efekt and features DMT. There is a line, "you know I deserve it cause I been through hell." This line sums up the entirety of the song.  DMT raps about living with self hatred and trying to find himself in a time of self discovery. "I battle through adversity, cause you know that it's worth it." Although "Hermit" hits home for me,  DMT tells me that he wrote it in a pivotal moment in his life and had no idea the impact it could make on the listener.  He's nothing but humble when I send him my praise.

What started as a quick interview turned into over 3 hours of line for line conversation.  I find myself not having to ask many questions as he's open to sharing his life story. I'm attentive to his willingness to talk to me. He shares that everyone deals with their own struggles and although everyone goes through different situations, the struggle is still the same.  After all, he's a 22 year old white rapper who grew up on a llama farm. Not your stereotypical artist by any means.  He tells me about the support he has received from his parents. His mom, who struggles with a chronic pain I can relate to, put that aside for the night of his show to support him. His father was also in attendance and I had the pleasure of meeting him. Parental support is an amazing thing to witness, especially in something as unreliable as the music industry.

Along with his parents support, the entire show had an abundance of energy. MC Eyeone (who started rapping with DMT in their early high school days) opened the show. DMT mentions that the two of them together helped mold and shape each other.  They bounced ideas off each other and freestyled on walks to the store after school.

MC Swamptiger went next, commanding everyone's attention. A style all his own, he's undeniably a great MC. He even graced the stage with some break dancing upon a fans request. 

Cauze N Efekt went third, not once disappointing the crowd; smooth and lyrical hip hop in every verse.  Then DMT hit the stage. A true preformer, vibing off the fans. He even changed the energy of his song, "And the heart beats" screaming "RISE!" which is a more mellow lyric in the recording. 

I had not yet heard "and the heat beats" but was overcome with several emotions as DMT spit it a capella on the Seattle hotel rooftop. From his strong delivery to the message in the lyrics, this song tells a story. Again, the inspiration for these lyrics comes from a dark place in DMT's life that he has overcome.  Although I still can not relate to this part of him, I can feel the lyrics he has spoken. From an out of body experience to being in economical slavery,  there is a powerful message in the words that have been laid over a dramatic musical beat.

To end our evening we find ourselves in front of a laptop sharing songs that have inspired and moved us. I introduce him to a few of my favorites and he returns the favor; introducing me to Eyedea & Abilities, Apathy and the like. I see where DMT's inspiration comes from, though he has a style all his own. Lost in the moments of true hip hop, we realize over 3 hours have passed and I must go.

I'm left feeling refreshed. This is the new face if true hip hop. This is why I am involved and This is what saved my life. Divine. Mental. Thought. DMT  IS Hip Hop.

1 comment:

  1. Great article, thank you so much Lena. I had a blast putting on the show, and a blast hanging out for the few hours. Thank you again for all the support!

    ReplyDelete